Everyone who knows me knows I talk a lot, and I love to have fun. Lots and lots of uninhibited fun. haha. I would say I'm generally outgoing and outspoken. And yes, I actually am casual about almost everything. I love talking to everyone and anyone and I try my best to make people feel comfortable around me even if we've never really spoken. In fact, I think what I like best about talking to people is making them feel like we've been friends all along.
However, I've never really cared about what I say or how I say things. It's not that I've never given it thought, it's just that I obnoxiously, consciously really,really didn't care. That is where I think this course has helped me the most. I'm still extremely talkative, crazy Diana but a more conscious, talkative crazy Diana. All the feedback, videos and lessons about things like non-verbal cues, to tone, to the very last video about assertiveness have been really helpful.
For example, in the video on assertiveness, I could identify with the lady blowing up about some brochure design I think. Now, amongst my friends, I am known to be extremely honest sometimes to the point of it being brutal. Imagine the lady blowing up - I say things like that all the time,and I never really cared how the other person felt. Plus I'm also really casual about it. I don't say things like that out of hate, I don't give my words much thought, and I also expect the other party to take it 'casually', at face value, without much meaning. Actually everybody gets offended by me at first before knowing that it's just how I am. People do internalise, and take things personally sometimes.
While the lesson on intercultural communication is about cross-cultural understanding, I do think it has helped me generally empathise better with people. It probably isn't just the intercultural communication lesson, but maybe also the whole process of blogging. Through blogging, I have reflected on things I would have never really given much thought about. Reading other people's blogs and commenting has also helped me reflect more than I actually would in my daily life.
Ok, so I don't think I have really offended people much this semester while taking this course. If I were to apply this to my real life, constantly reflecting, empathising, I would be a better person. This part here is going to quite personal. I know myself best, and I know that I am not the best person out there. There's still a lot for me to develop inside. I am not saying this because I am secretly depressed, or that I am too hard on myself. Remember, I am always honest? So this is how I honestly feel about myself. I've been telling my friends though, that I want to become a better person. I think a large part of becoming a better person is via empathy.
I am not much of a 'feelings' person. I will never be that person who over-internalises, but if I were to apply all the reflecting I've done in this course in my daily life, just putting a little more thought and consideration into things, I think I could get there!
PS. COULD YOU GUYS PLEASE COMMENT. ARE MY POSTS SUPER UNRELATABLE OR WHAT?!
Hi Diana,
ReplyDeleteHey! Though we never really talked, I can tell you like to have lots and lots of fun haha.
I'm glad the module has inspired you to look inwards as a person and reflect on things that you wouldn't normally think about. For me, the module allowed me to look at myself in terms of my personal branding and got me thinking on how to improve on it as well.
I admire your earnestness and determination in wanting to become a better person. I wish you all the best in your remaining years in university and beyond!